Monday, March 1, 2010

A Poem from 1999, Rose Colored Glasses


Rose Colored Glasses...

Love is something I can't seem to find,
or every man out there is just blind...

I started to think that it might work,
but then he turned in to a complete jerk.
I tried my best to salvage what I had,
but then I found out all the lies and they were all bad.

My heart was broken for the first time,
I told myself that I wouldn't fall for another bullshit line.
Time passed and I did the single life,
It got boring, lonely, and I built up too much strife.
Dating again I started with one,
but added a few more to have some fun.
They probably thought they were playing me,
but they were the ones picking up the dinner fee.
I can only be a pimpstress for so long,
before I started to need only one that I belong..

Wanting so much to believe that he cares,
I did virtually everything he said and dares.
Kidding my self about the whole thing,
All I did was prolong what he wanted, a fling.
I had believed in my heart that it was gonna be good,
but alone in the relationship is where I stood...

But this time I'm at wits end,
and if anyone wants to borrow my heart, I'll be happy to lend.
Its been used, abused, and shattered another time,
People ask how I'm doin' and I can't even say fine.
I don't like to admit that I was wrong,
but to my pride I'll say so long...

You've done it again,
are you proud of what you did?
I was wrong,
it was my heart I was trying to kid.
You don't care for me,
you never have.
You were just playing,
trying to be a sav'.
Well, I have to say thanks a lot,
A broken heart really hits the spot...

                                                       Jennifer Highton (1999)

1 comment:

  1. Jen... Jen... Jen...
    My most amazing friend!!!

    Sit and relax for what's about to unfold,
    a secret so daring it just has to be told:

    I know someone who's been following,
    and they're interested in borrowing.

    But...if you knew who he was,
    would you really still lend?

    Even if time were no issue,
    because he's that kinda friend?

    Oh love, love, love...
    What an interesting emotion.

    Sometimes he goes crazy,
    just pondering the notion.

    But know this though, Jen...
    it's the truth, not a trend:

    If it's friends to the end,
    you will always desire...

    By your side he'll remain,
    pushing you higher and higher.

    So if your answer is a "Yes", or even a "No",

    Fear neither nor, for he's a big boy...

    I just never expected to become trapped by your glow.

    Russell Ryan (2010)

    ReplyDelete