Food!
Food-food-food-food-food-food!!
-This is my life.
At least it feels that way sometimes. I'm a self professed: Food Info Junky. "Obsessed" is a good description of what it feels like sometimes when I find myself geeking out on a newly found food blog or news story that I feel compelled to dig deeper about. Then the occasional diet revamp and knowledge of something I've been doing wrong and want to change. This hobby or interest has become part of my identity and had a huge affect on my life. Which has good and bad qualities. The other part of this is that its created a sort of reputation or identity that may or may not be true.
Reputation vs. Reality:
I'm not entirely sure what people think of me or my food choices. I do know what has been said to me...
"Don't judge me"
"Don't look in my cupboards, you won't like what you see"
"I would invite you, but, you don't eat the food we eat"
"I'm not as good as you about food"
"You're too food obsessed now"
"You make me feel bad about my food choices"
"I can't do what you do"
"Food is food, your crazy"
"If it was actually bad they wouldn't let us eat it"
"If you want to be a food hippy that's your choice, but keep it to yourself."
Now, lets get this straight.....
I
do not look in people's cupboards looking for things to criticize and I
admire anyone who is making any changes at all toward a healthier
lifestyle. Everyone is a different stages and live in different
circumstances.
I do not compare myself to others in the way of judging what they do wrong, only what I could be doing better.
We
eat most food, the only thing we don't eat at all is wheat products
(bread, tortillas, pasta, cake, and gluten), because it makes us sick,
otherwise we would. Besides that, we eat pretty much everything. I don't
like my children getting artificial food colors or sweeteners, it
affects their moods, you don't want them eating it either. If you want
us over, invite us. We'll navigate through it.
I
don't make you feel bad, you feel bad because you haven't made changes
and understand the value of what I try to do. Don't get overwhelmed just
decide if you want to make changes and educate yourself on your
options, I can help. If not, get over it and move on but take
responsibility for your own feelings.
Anyone who
is overwhelmed with what I do.... Start small, stay informed and do what
you can. When you make significant changes some will stick and some
will go back and you'll keep getting better and better as time goes on.
Just stick to it and understand that what you are doing is better than
not changing anything at all. Feel good about it. It takes a while to
retrain your brain to understand everything.
If you
think what I do is pointless, we can agree to disagree. I will willingly
and peacefully defend my decisions and offer you some of my knowledge.
But, its your life just as it's mine. Respect me and I will do the same.
If you can't respect our differences I will just have to move on.
I
will NOT keep it to myself! If you don't want to hear about it delete
me, hide me, walk away, don't talk to me, and don't start a conversation
about it. I will share every bit of knowledge I find interesting and
helpful. So either get over it or ... well ya... get over it!
I believe that eventually everyone will make dietary changes because of the state of our food system. Some because of exposure to the info, others perhaps only because of health issues. But, eventually we will all have a moment when we are willing to accept there's something wrong and the only way to change it is to be educated and make better decisions. If you stop buying it they can't make money on it.
The Bad:
I am no longer trusting of food or the people/companies/agencies that try to control it.
I shop at 4 different grocery stores, online sites, and drive direct to a farm to get the food I am wiling to eat.
I
have constant stress and anxiety wondering if what I'm doing enough or
if its right because everything seems to be wrong, eventually.
Its difficult to eat at home, going out, and with others.
I have enormous guilt when I'm not doing everything I know I could be doing.
I compare myself to other people who do things better or are further along.
I
spend so much time learning about food, preparing food, and other
things relating to food, the only thing that comes before that is my
family. But, doesn't leave much time or effort for chores or other
activities I want to do.
Some people have distanced
away from me because of my interest in food, wanting to talk about it
and share info with those I care about.
People thing I'm judging them for not being a certain way or eating something I don't and I'm not.
The good:
I am no longer confused or trusting of food or the people/companies/agencies that try to control it.
What is great is that I feel confident that I am making good strides toward being healthy and healing my body from damage caused by environment and prior food exposure.
I feel great that my kids are being educated at a young age to make an informed decision about their own eating habits later and knowing what to avoid helps me make decisions for them now I feel good about.
I love to educate others and share information on just about anything that helps us be better people in our lives. The bonds I've created among like minded people has been really uplifting and I'm inspired to keep going because of them.
I am REALLY in control my own life, health, and dietary decisions. I am very protective of my food knowledge, exposure, and freedom to eat the way I want. Knowledge = freedom
I have a better chance of not getting sick now and later in life.
I get to inspire people and be inspired by people, its wonderful!
In the end....
Although there are times when I really struggle to stay on track and I have a huge mountain of errors to correct still I feel 100% confident what I do is better than not doing it. So, I will keep doing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment