Natural Store Bought Options:
Some stores carry natural options for tooth paste, deodorant and other hygiene needs, if this is something you'd rather do, Toms of Maine Tea Tree scented works great without the ingredients listed above. But, I recently I learned that many of the "natural" options still have propylene glycol in it. This ingredient may or may not harm you, but there is studies showing cell manipulation and toxic affects after many years of exposure (source). So, another thing I'd just rather avoid if possible. Now brand has some natural alternatives which don't include any of those ingredients, but, I've found they also don't work very well. Interestingly enough, I feel they make me stink more.
All natural:
I've been going without deodorant for a few months. I'm not someone who sweats a lot so I manage pretty well as long as I can get into air conditioning relatively quickly. On hotter days when I'm outside more or being active I would shower day and night, sometimes would give my underarms a mid-day clean. I also tried applying just coconut oil (CO) and mixture of CO and lime. Which didn't make much of a difference for me, not enough to go through the trouble of applying it. After some anxious moments when I didn't know if other people could smell me or not I needed to give myself the option to use something else. Especially in a professional setting. So, I went on a search to find out what else I could do.
The DIY Project:
I came across many different blogs that offered a variety of DIY options for deodorant. Based on the blogs I came up with my own recipe with just a few ingredients. Easy enough make on a regular basis. There are some more complicated recipes that I'll keep them in mind if I need to tweak something, but simpler is better for me at this point.
I will also be posting "Go-Me DIY Deodorant (Part 2)," a two week trial period of this recipe. Where I will share my experiences and the pro's and con's of using a DIY recipe. Stay tuned!!
Detoxifying DIY Deodorant
- 1/8-1/4 Cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup baking soda**
- 1/4 Cup (mounded) tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/4 Cup (flat) tablespoons bentonite clay
- 5 drops tea tree oil & Lavender oil (optional but highly suggested)
Directions: Mix all of the flour ingredients together then add coconut oil slowly as you stir, stop once you reach the consistency you like. Keep it in a glass jar with a lid. Use clean finger tips to apply the paste to your underarms as needed. Note: stinging may occur directly after shaving, waiting a half hour to an hour before applying helps.
Ingredient FYI:
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: Natural antibacterial. If you notice the deodorant is flaky on
the skin or its too wet to apply easily, you can adjust the amount to adjust consistency.
Baking Soda**: Neutralizes pH and body odor
Arrowroot: Absorbs perspiration
Bentonite Clay: Adds
extra wetness protection by whisking away sweat, and pulls toxins from skin
Tea Tree & Lavender: Potent antibacterial and scent
I purchased all of my ingredients at Vitacost.com. This is a GREAT place to buy your supplements and natural needs. They have wonderful prices and deliver to your door.
** Please take this into consideration when trying out anything like this. There is talk about baking soda's PH not being good for our body's PH balance and that is a main component in the most effective recipes. Crunchy Betty's Blog has a wonderful post about PH balance and some things you may experience when trying DIY deodorants.
Sources & Wonderful Info:
Body Unburdened Blog
Crunchy Betty Blog
Frugally Sustainable Blog
Wellness Mama Blog
Busy-at-home Blog

No comments:
Post a Comment