This week started out to be one that I was nervous I would not finish. I thought about waiting till later in my weeks to tackle my kitchen, but, I figured it I'm gonna do this I should get the most used spaces finished first. Unfortunately, I feared correctly in that there were a few things I didn't quite get to, but, I will just have to add to the post after I get time to hit the store and find my solutions.
The problems in my kitchen were mostly due in the junk drawer, cabinet I use for lots of things (I suppose its a junk cabinet), my kitchen window that has become a catch all, pots and pans, and general cupboard tidiness. I have done a bit of decluttering prior to starting the challenge so there is not an excess amount of dishes and pots and pans like before so that made things a bit easier.
This week I had to spend some of the week celebrating and preparing for Mother's Day and that time had been set aside for this challenge. So, I didn't have the time I'd planned to finish the project. I've also had my Mother's Day DIY gift spill over into the next week. So, I'm hoping my time management is better and I'm able to get next week's projects more complete.
At any rate... Here's my new and improved Kitchen...
Kitchen Area 1: Window
The window was a place that really bothered me. I spend a lot of time around this area and it always looked cluttered and dirty. So, I cleared it up and added a few clear jars I had in the kitchen!
Before:
Kitchen Are 2: Junk Drawer
Before:
This is a typical mess in most homes I'm sure. For this solution I set out to find a utensil drawer organizer and went to Big Lots, Dollar General, Family Dollar and finally Target when I came up empty handed. There, they had utensil organizers and an actual junk drawer organizer for just a few more dollars. So, I went ahead and splurged on it! I also found some plastic shoe boxes for a dollar each that I used to put all of the cords in a bin and twist-tied them so they stayed neat!
After:
Kitchen Area 3: Cupboards
As I mentioned earlier I have already gone through my dishes and gotten rid of some excess dishes. I just reorganized the ones that were left for better use of the space.
Before & After:
The second set of cupboards were in a bit more disarray I also purchased some plastic shoe boxes and used them to organize the batteries and "out door" things like bug spray, bubbles, and sun screen that seem to live in the cupboard when the weather is nice. I have quite an extensive collection of vitamins and medicine that is kept in the kitchen for easy access, which had grown and expanded so I decided to dedicate some space for that. I tossed a bunch of stuff including all of the candy that had accumulated over the past year or so except the naturally sweetened and organic options. This is the final result!
Before and After:
May not seem like much here, but, let me tell you that my kitchen was a disaster for a couple of days while I went through it all. I'm happy with the result and looking forward to getting the rest of the kitchen together!
Organizing Expenses
Junk Drawer Organizer: $6.89
Plastic Bins: $3.00
This week's Total: $9.89
Grand Total: $71.12
Upcoming Projects:
Organizing the hall closet
Moving the boy's room
Making a craft room







No comments:
Post a Comment