After Ricky was born I decided to have the Mirena IUD put in. This decision came basically because my insurance didn't cover Paraguard and I didn't have the money to pay for it out of pocket. My system has always been sensitive to birth control hormones and I don't feel normal when taking birth control. After having Mirena installed, the side affects I experienced were... No period and No libido. I'm not sure if I had any weight gain or bloating from it but, I feel now that it could have been a contributor since I feel less bloated and my belly is smaller just a month later.
While on Mirena, I did not have a period which to me, is very odd. I mean your body works a certain way for a reason. I'm concerned that not having a period for so long is a real issue and I'm hoping that it hasn't caused my body some kind of damage. No only did I not have a period but, my libido plummeted. I'm so lucky to have an understanding man because it was not a situation I think most men would have handled so well. Not only did I not have a libido, but, I was not emotionally connected. I was not very affectionate and cuddling was almost out of the question. The only feelings I had sexually were pressure to make my relationship normal and my man happy. This does not come easy when your body doesn't react and it takes two to three weeks to build up. Lets just say, we were miserable in that department and I had to do something about it.
After about a year, the time had come, I finally made the decision to remove my Mirena. I called my Dr's office and asked how much it would cost. They charge $1200 and that was a lot more than I had anticipated spending. So, we planned on at least getting the Mirena removed and using some other methods until we could save up enough to get it. I also needed to get my woman's well check. That appointment was quite a bit of money through my Dr's office too and knowing I could get the same service done at Planned Parenthood for a fraction of the price. Guess what else they have at a fraction of the price? You guessed it! Paraguard for half of what my Dr's office charged and exactly as much as I had to do it! I was on my way to being Mirena free!
I cannot express how relieved I was to find out that Planned Parenthood could solve all of my issues. I was feeling so much stress thinking about removing my IUD and not having something as strong in place. I have zero interest in any more children and about the same level of desperation to fix my body and get back to a loving balanced relationship. The news that I could afford to switch to Paraguard in a matter of a week or so was the best news I'd heard in a while, what a relief! After my well check and swapping to Paraguard, The Dr told me about all the side affects I may experience and the major stress she put was the heavy periods and cramping, somethingI was willing to handle!
Within one week of that appointment I found myself happier like I weight had been lifted off my chest. I was more affectionate and noticed everyday I was feeling more and more like myself. I had a bit of doubt that it was really happening. Maybe just having the Mirena removed was such a relief that I felt better. But, after two weeks, I knew it wasn't just a placebo affect. I started getting this butterfly feeling in my stomach every time my man walked in the room. I found myself drawn to him, not just sexually but sensually. I wanted to sit by him and hold his arm. Those were feelings I hadn't had in over a year! I felt like I had fallen in love with him again in a new way. I was so completely ecstatic to know that I was right about the Mirena, it wasn't me, or our relationship. It was just the hormones! Not only have I found my emotional connection again, but, I have my groove back! I love feeling like myself and being able to enjoy our relationship the way its supposed to be!
About a month later I had my first period. It was very very heavy. Normally, I will go through 1-2 tampons the first day and 1 a day for the next 3-4 days. This period I was going through 1 tampon a hour, maybe two if I didn't move much for the first day. The second day was slightly better, not much. The third day felt a bit more like a normal "heavy period" going through a tampon about every 3-4 hours. I didn't feel any cramping, but, I had been taking ibuprofen pretty consistently due to dental work. So, I may have had some and not known it. I am now on day 5, still on my period. Let me tell ya, a heavy flow hasn't been the only thing I'm dealing with. One part of this that I forgot about was how emotional I become on my period.
I've been a mess! Emotional, deep in thought, and sensitive. Mood swings from hell and feeling like a crazy person. I did not miss this. In fact, this has been way worse than I remember. I usually take a woman's vitamin that helps with balancing hormones and these things, but, I can't take it while breastfeeding so I'm left just dealing with myself. Or everyone else is left dealing with me. I fell like I'm so out of control, which is a feeling I hate.
In conclusion... Although I am an emotional basket case and will have a heavy flow, I feel its way better than no period and no love. Not to mention, way better than three+ babies! I love my paraguard!
No comments:
Post a Comment