Yesterday, I walked across stage for my beauty school graduation. I have to admit, I thought it was a big odd to have a graduation ceremony for a trade school. I kinda thought it was silly to wear a cap and gown and really just felt it was a bit ridiculous to have this whole thing happening for trade school completion. There is no comparison to 2, 4, 6 or 10 years of college... But, alas... I was told I HAD to attend. Since I didn't go to my High School graduation and was told of the disappointment I made people feel because they didn't get to see me walk, I decided it was best if I went.
Getting there, I was happy about it, if I have to do something, I'm not going to be sour puss about it, I'll make the best of it. It was nice seeing everyone all dressed up and ready to strut their stuff. Though I didn't know most of the students there, this year they had all six of the DFW schools graduate together, I felt like I was connected to them anyway. We had our rehearsal and prepared for the big ceremony. I was luckily enough to sit next to Brenna, someone I knew and liked a lot. So, that was awesome since we anticipated sitting a while going through all of the graduates. Then we just waited for our loved ones to show up and for the clock to tick toward 4pm!
Not all of the day was wonderful for me though, during the break I had a major headache, low blood sugar and needed to eat. I walked around to everyone I knew, that I could find, asking for a ride along to grab a bite. Sadly, not one could accommodate me and heard a slew of excuses which turned out to not be totally factual when later I saw them coming back with food they "weren't going to get," having room in their car after all, and other quite inconsiderate 'mean girl' kind of things. I was a bit twisted by the whole matter and really saddened by the lack of kindness. I would have never done that to them or anyone for that matter, so I cannot begin to understand it...... So, I called to the cavalry and my family brought me some yum-yums. Thank goodness for them!
Although admittedly, the situation did put me in a sad space for the rest of the day and I didn't want to stay. I really felt like I wasn't a part of the "family" and togetherness I had felt earlier in the day. I guess I was given a reality check and true colors painted a pretty real picture that regardless of how much time you spend with people, they still may never see you or like you for who you are. I though about part of the schools slogan of teamwork, dignity, respect and realized that it is limited to moments when people are being graded and seen by people of authority. This tug-of-war with acceptance and the outside world is something I am still affected by and also still refuse to sell out because of. Although it hurts, I will never allow it to bring me down or ruin my kind heart and giving nature.
There was also a moment when I was reminded that there are other kind people and I'm not alone... Sitting waiting for my loves to arrive, students from another school sitting near by offered me some of their pizza. I hadn't said a word to them and probably didn't have the best energy at that point, they still held out a hand. Good manners stranger and thank you!
Then finally..... They arrive! Jack in the box in hand.... I was so overwhelmed with emotion seeing my babies, lover, sister and FOOD! My low blood sugar lifted and my headache went away. My appreciation for them is unexplainable!
A bit later, the rest of my family arrives and I started feeling more complete again, my sadness was lifting and although that little bullied girl inside was still hurting, the fact that my family was there for me made me feel like million bucks! Now lets talk about my friends!! Anastacia and Christina came to see me graduate... Can we take a moment here.... REALLY?! How awesome are they!? Yup, I'm on top of the world!
Now its time to walk! I get to the edge where they call out the names... and I hear "Jennifer Highton." The smile pops up on my face like someone just handed me a winning lottery ticket and I'm thinking to myself... "Why am I smiling like this, Stop it!" But, it wouldn't go away. I was proud I have to be honest, I was super proud. I was thankful for those instructors and all the people who run the school, to my family, and the great people I've met along the way! I totally rushed back to my seat, I regret not waiting longer for my pictures, but, I'm just too considerate for my own good I suppose. Oh well.
After it was all said and done, I was so happy I went and had my family and friends there to cheer me on. I still don't think that Beauty School is an equivalent to a major degree, but, its still an accomplishment and I'm grateful that Ogle School had that for us. Over all it was a great day and I know the experience of crossing the stage will be a great memory and one I will cherish for a long time.
You definitely should be very proud of yourself Jennifer. It may not be a big school like you describe or a 4 year degree, but it's a big accomplishment, one you were able to finish even with a family and going through a pregnancy and everything else. You deserved to walk across that stage and be recognized for your awesome achievement. I know your family is very proud of you and I'm extremely proud of you and I know you will go even further than this with time.
ReplyDeletexoxoxox