"When we find ourselves complaining, the last thing we need to do is get down on ourselves. Instead, we can begin by noticing that we are in the mode of wanting to make some changes. But rather than lashing out at somebody or an organization, we can look for an appropriate place to channel this energy—not our neighbor’s house, but possibly parts of our own. Finally, we can ask ourselves the positive question of what we would like to create in the place of whatever it is we want to tear down. When we do this, we channel a negative habit into a creative process, thus using our energy to change the world around us in a positive way." Daily OM
There are moments each day where I am involved with wanted and unwanted scenarios. Some of these situations, good and bad, are wonderful learning opportunities. These opportunities may at first be extremely frustrating or challenging to initially process. Those moments are the best way for me to mature and strengthen my ability to handle myself in future unwanted situations. On the other hand there are situations when things go very well or better than expected. I try my best to take mental notes so that I can reflect on them when things don't go as well and I'm down on myself.
The most difficult part which is also my largest asset when I'm able to do it, is to not let things get to me. To rise above and remind myself that not everything is about me, even if I'm effected by something or if its directed at me. I sometime have to remind myself that everyone has a bad day, makes mistakes and well, some people are just bad people and thats their problem. None of which has anything to do with me personally... Unless I allow it to.
Those notes I take when things go well and all the little things I tell myself when things go wrong and I need a pep, is what I call my mental dialogue. My mental dialogue can definitely wear me down at times but, without it, I'm an unhealthy and uncontrolled emotional wreck! Talking myself through each moment and weighing out options is a much better option for me, even if it does take some energy and mental space to do it. The great challenge is not letting other people's bad energies and choices sneak into my mind and on the list of possible options for me to choose from.
Although it does become quite challenging doing what I know is right, its much easier to live with myself and sit comfortably in my skin knowing that I did or at least tried my best given the situation. Its also rewarding acknowledging when I am put into a situation similar to one in the past when I didn't handle well and end up making a fantastic decision because of something I learned from the poor past result.
Challenging situations greet me often. I try my best to shake hands and deal with them with poise. I'm not always perfect, but, I try!
No comments:
Post a Comment