Lately, I've been thinking a lot about aggressive human interactions and how common it is. In some of my permanent relationships, aggression is part of the communication standard. Job positions require me to be assertive and aggressive at times. Observing strangers and hearing about other people's lives, I hear about consistent drama and down right nasty treatment of peers, friends, lovers, and strangers.
I cannot count how many times I've said... "I'm a hippy, cause I don't get it." or Had my feelings hurt by someone being unnecessarily disrespectful toward me or the moments when I felt like I was in the 'mean girls' movie. I find that aggressive behaviors are way too prevalent and I rarely see people doing kind things for each other without expecting or receiving something in return.
Often times I see people being nasty to each other to gain social or professional footing. I am personally not someone who has the drive to step on someone to get ahead. I learned very young that some people hunt for a target and devour them to in order to move up in a social group or company. Although, am not interested in acting as the attacker, I have many times been the subject or prey and I've gotta tell ya, its an awful experience.
I have also found that people are severely controlled by their insecurities, which at times triggers an aggressive reaction. Any threat of the unknown, misunderstood, or reminders of personal short comings are often times met with swift and direct objection and even hatred. Its a very dramatic experience and something I find absolutely ridiculous. I'm confused why people don't want to understand things different than themselves or grow out of those personal issues that cause such a negative feeling.
I am employed to or expected at times, to be assertive and command myself as an authority in a number of environments in my life today. It may be the single most difficult thing I think I have to do. Because by nature I am a helpful, peaceful, and kind person. I mostly become dominant or protective in situations where I need to protect someone I care about. But, other than that, its been a long difficult road to figuring out when its necessary to be aggressive. The truth is, its never a natural reaction. Its all taught to me by someone or my observations of other people dealing with similar situations, and absorbing how they handle it. But, each new situation causes me a new learning experience because my initial reaction is ultimately the wrong one.... being nice and respectful.
Its so bad today that Customer Service people are even rude. The phrase "customer is always right" flew out the window in the 90's. I'm sure this is a compilation of many things, but, two things come to my mind as possible explanations... Muli-millionaire companies bullying out the mom and pop companies, which believed in that slogan, and the common mistreatment of each other making people short tempered coupled with cut-throat work environments where people are given raises and promotions after using "weaker" people's heads as a step ladder, may explain some of it.
I am no where near a perfect person and there have been many experiences where a reputation of being a bitch or controlling came to light. I am frustrated by the labels and wish greatly that I could be my natural self. I too have become hard in many ways and its no mystery as to why.... In many of my family, romantic, business, and friendship relationships people treat each other poorly and very rarely do I have genuine and selflessly kind and thoughtful experiences with people. Though... there are a few and those seldom yet special moments I hold dear to my heart because they are hard to come by.
There was a time a few years ago when I found myself being a despicable person. I was so miserable with myself that I treated many people poorly. I especially focused on those people who also acted a fool but, I leaned that feeding the problem only helped grow the issue. I started working on finding out why I was so unhappy and why I was not being myself. Its a big debate in my head as where I lost myself to begin with. But, all I know for sure is that now I'm at a more familiar place in my head which includes more peaceful relations.... or the desire for them at least.
I have worked very hard to treat people the way I want to be treated, communicate to people the best I can and to be myself. Whatever happens with people is what happens... There's not much more to it than that. Live and let live is a good example of where I stand. But, I have to be honest... Its draining having people coming at you and continually having to process the moment because I don't want to feed the issue, makes me not want to deal with people anymore. I really just want people to respect each other and be kind. But, along with many other things I think are good ideas, it seems to be an unrealistic hope.
For as long as I can remember I've lived in a dog eat dog world and for as long as I remember I've felt like a cat cunning my way through the dog house trying to not get attacked. Its not the best way to live, but, its better than being discussed with myself for selling out and giving in to the belief that its okay to treat others poorly. Its a daily struggle and I'm not always successful. But, I have to give myself credit for trying and hold on to hope that more people will get on the "mean people suck" band wagon.
People, as a general rule, are a product of their environment. Mean people do suck, but I always try to rememember - I don't know what is going on with that person outside of my general frame of reference. Here is an example:
ReplyDeleteCSR for say, cell phone company - "Becky" got to work late this morning b/c her loser of a boyfriend tied one on last night and wasn't capable of taking care of their young son this morning, nor capable to take him to daycare. When she got to daycare, she was met the by the manager only to be informed that her check for tuition last week has bounced. They will no longer accept checks from her period and she has a big NSF fee to pay them and no telling what has happened in her back account. She continues on to her crappy CS job where she makes $10 an hour mulling the fact that her deadbeat loser boyfriend isn't helping her pay the bills and now with this daycare situation - how she going to keep the utilities on this month. Once she gets to work, she gets on her phone and the first person out of the gate rips her a new one before she can do anything, one of those people that cannot be pleased and is so pissed they really just want to yell at someone. So her whole morning has been about keeping her mouth shut and playing nice but she is just about at the end of her rope. I call next, after insane caller #1, she has had it. She doesn't get paid enough for the abuse and she can't take anymore. I give her a little room to help me and she isn't very nice, she's determined to tow the hardest line she can with me because she is putting our exactly what's been given to her whether is was given to her by be or the 3 people that she encoutered before me - the same rule (unfortunately) applies - garbage in - garbage out.
I'm not saying this is right by any means but I do sometimes rationalize poor behavior like this. I try and imagine what's going on with that person and know, more often than not, their aggression has nothing to do with me.
I think your very good at rising above the issue and not letting things get to you. I too use the general rules of, its not personal, I don't know whats going on in their life, and many others as a way to cope with these types of moments.
ReplyDeleteWe all go through things and I'm sure we all have those moments in life where everything goes to shit... I totally have! I wonder if she could have called a friend, wrote a note to vent, or some other kind of personal coping mechanisms to not let these things take control.
I believe that if more people thought about their actions and each other, than more people would spread kindness and perhaps there would have been a moment in the misted of all that when someone did something kind for her and helped her not blow a gasket.
I believe in my heart that we are all responsible for each other. The more people mistreat each other, the further the mistreatment spreads. I believe its the same with kindness, the smallest thing... complimenting someone's dress, saying thank you for the fast service in the Starbucks drive through, smiling at someone who looks like they need one, or asking if someone is okay when they don't look like they are.... More people have to stand up and say that this social abuse isn't right, stop the bad cycle, and start spreading "nice".
I really feel hurt and personally frustrated by it all. I've found myself thinking compliments and not saying it, hiding from society to avoid conflicts, and letting things get to me that shouldn't. Its ridiculous on my part. So, I wrote this post to remind myself how far I've allowed myself to become a part of the problem and stimulate the drive to pick up where I fell off and start loving myself and all those poor unfortunate "Becky's" with crappy mornings again.
Cause we all deserve to be treated with kindness and respect.
So true!
ReplyDeletePlato said, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."