A while back I started noticing all of the attention that the amount of gaming and TV watching is becoming a issue with the kids these days. I see the amount of gaming that my brother's and most of the male population spends on the TV or gaming system of some kind and its excessive. I made a note to myself that once my kids got to an age where it starts becoming an issue that I would set limits. Well, that day has come.
If it were up to my boy, he would watch TV or play games for at least 4 hours a day. I would argue that he would do it all day from time to time. I feel that as the gets older the amount he is able to game for will become longer and longer, seeing what older boys do and the fact that he still enjoys playing in dirt outside. So, about a month or so ago I restricted his TV time to 2 hours total for the day. Weekends he can have more and he can earn extended time through earning points and trading them in for things he likes, like TV, new toy, a sweet, etc.
That worked well for a while but, then I noticed a change in him. Those two hours became so important to him the only thing he can think of the entire day is when he can watch TV for those two hours. When he was watching TV it would be an argument if I would interrupt the session for a favor or to do his chores. The entire morning of school he would be asking if we were done so he can watch TV or play a game. So, then I made an adjustment for him to get up to two hours depended on how well he did in school that day. So, if he is focused, has a good attitude, really pushes through frustrations and, makes a real effort he can get all of his time. Depending on how much fight or disrespect he throws at me affected how much time I would take away.
There was a couple of days adjustment for him to get used to the change. But, once he understood how it worked he was okay with it. The only issue came when his two hour mark came in the middle of a game or show. I would ask him to turn it off when it was over, but, if I got distracted he would almost always keep watching or playing if I didn't say something. This was difficult for me because I did not want to fight or cause more tension. But, I felt he was old enough to remember and making a clear decision to continue to sneak more time. I explained to him that I am allowing him to watch TV as a reward for doing so well in school and that continuing to watch TV after his time was up will cause him to loose that time in the next day. He only did it once after that.
Then it happened.... A huge break down when I asked him to pause his game unload his silverware. He had a full on melt down. He was absolutely distraught that I would ask him to do his chores while he was watching TV. I have to be honest here, I don't want a TV anyway and I only keep it because the MR. wants it. So, after about a two hour situation and discussion about it, he lost TV for the entire week, every week. He will get to watch TV on Friday (after school) through Sunday and he can earn TV time with his points.
That happened on Monday this week. Tuesday we had no TV, no fights, and everything was good. Today was his birthday, I asked him what he wanted and he said to watch TV and play games.... So, that's what he got.
I am considering trading out Netflix instant to DVD's just to eliminate the availability of TV in general. I'm not sure that, that will prevent him from wanting to play games but, I feel that if its not there for him to worry about he won't... we'll see what the MR. says about that idea....
(A few hours later.....)
Good news! He is totally in agreement and the instant has been cancelled. I'm personally very excited about this change because I can finish the Dexter seasons!!! Wooo double bonus!!
We haven't had tv for years I only allow video games1hour a day except sunday after church where they can play for three I only have dvds and those are all movies that I feel are appropriate for our family no satellite no broadcast no nothing my boys love to read and I encourage that as much as possible
ReplyDeleteThats wonderful! I think more parents should be mindful of this. Reading is the most important thing a child can do besides play. Good for you guys!
DeleteI have a TV and I hardly use it. My coworker is always saying how I need to be watching "Duck Dynasty" and "Vampire Diaries." I don't think I'm really missing out :) I know how it feels to be tied to a TV and having to see all my shows, wasting hours away. I don't miss that feeling at all. It's great that you're instilling such habits at an early age. He may hate it now, but he'll thank you one day!
ReplyDelete